Dental crowns are a great way to restore teeth that are damaged, decayed or otherwise vulnerable. Teeth crowns are highly durable and functional, restoring your ability to chew, bite and smile. Teeth crowns also look more beautiful and natural than they ever have before. They blend seamlessly into the appearance of your smile. To learn more about them or to schedule an appointment at Crystal Lake Family Dental Care in Crystal Lake, IL, please call us at 815-893-6345.
What Are Crowns Used For?
You may have heard people refer to crowns as "caps." The reason being that the hollow crown does essentially fit over a tooth like the cap of a pen. A crown covers, protects and restores the entire visible portion of a tooth, from the gum line up.
These versatile restorations address a wide variety of problems, including:
- Teeth that are fractured, broken or splintered into multiple segments
- A tooth with a cavity that is too large for a dental filling to repair
- Worn teeth
- Teeth that need to be restored following root canal treatment
- Misshapen teeth
- Stained and discolored teeth
Dental crowns are also an essential part of dental bridges and dental implants, both of which are used to replace missing teeth. Crowns are used to support and hold a dental bridge, and they are attached to the top of dental implants.
Our porcelain dental crowns are made to be the shade of white you want for your smile. Some people get teeth whitening before getting their crown placed, then get the crown matched to their brighter smile.
Preparing Your Teeth for a Crown and Placing the Crown
After you've completed your consultation, the next step is to schedule your appointments for crown placement. These appointments involve:
- Reducing the size of the tooth so that the crown can be placed over it
- Taking impressions of the tooth so a custom crown can be fabricated
- Bonding the crown to the tooth
Dr. Preet Sandhu may recommend a temporary crown while you wait for the permanent one to be created by the lab. Usually a couple weeks are required. Next, Dr. Sandhu will place the final crown and make any needed adjustments. She'll make sure you like the way it looks and feels, and then you'll be on your way with your improved smile!
Caring for Dental Crowns Long-Term
Dental crowns can last for years with good oral hygiene and smart dental habits:
- Brush your teeth 2-3 times per day
- Floss once every day
- Visit Dr. Sandhu every six months for a checkup and cleaning
- Avoid habits that can dislodge, chip or break the crown (such as chewing on ice cubes, using your teeth to open packages or biting into firm foods without cutting them into smaller pieces)
The porcelain our dental crowns are made from are highly durable and stain-resistant. They can last many years, even decades, without needing to be replaced.
Arrange an Appointment with Dr. Sandhu
If you suspect you may need a dental crown or would like to schedule a routine cleaning and exam, please call Crystal Family Dental Care at 815-893-6345. Our team proudly cares for people from across the region, including Crystal Lake, Lake in the Hills and Algonquin, Illinois.