Dental emergencies can be really startling. You aren't expecting it, and the feeling that you need to have the emergency addressed right away can be overwhelming. At the dental practice of Dr. Preet Sandhu, we work to schedule urgent dental appointments as soon as possible, and we can often make time in the daily practice schedule for emergencies.
The following are some of the most common examples of urgent problems:
- Jaw pain
- Facial swelling
- Tooth that has been knocked out partially or completely
- Chipped, broken or cracked tooth
- Abscessed tooth
- Broken filling or dental crown
Sometimes there is nothing you can do to avoid a dental emergency. You may have slipped and fell, or bit into food in a way that damaged a tooth or a dental restoration. In other situations, there are some things you can do to try to protect your teeth and avoid these types of problems:
- If you notice a problem with a dental restoration, call the dentist as soon as possible to avoid further damage
- Wear a mouth guard if you play contact sports
- Cut firm foods into small, bite-size pieces
- Don't chew on ice or hard candy
- Never use your teeth to open packages or tear things
And you should always visit our dentist for routine checkups and cleanings. This preventive care keeps your teeth and gums heathy and strong. By avoiding cavities, you can better ensure your teeth remain in tip-top shape for the long run.
Ready to schedule a dental checkup with Dr. Preet Sandhu in Crystal Lake? Think you may be experiencing an urgent dental issue? If so, please call Crystal Family Dental Care at 815-893-6345 We proudly provide dental care for people from across the surrounding areas, including Lake in the Hills and Algonquin.