In Crystal Lake, Illinois, Dr. Preet Sandhu is committed to helping her patients achieve optimal oral health. If you are missing one or more teeth, dental implants may be a great option. Below, we've outlined some of the main things to know about dental implants: who is a candidate, what the procedure is like and the costs.
Determining if You are a Candidate
To know for sure if you are a candidate, a consultation with Dr. Sandhu is necessary. After examining your mouth and teeth, and discussing your goals with you, she can help you decide if dental implants are right for you.
In broad terms, you may be a good candidate for dental implants if:
- You are missing one or more teeth
- You want a long-lasting, potentially permanent, tooth replacement
- You want the most durable, secure tooth replacement
- You want your tooth replacement to look natural and aesthetically attractive
A good candidate for dental implants is in good overall health. If gum disease or other oral problems are present, these conditions may need to be treated before dental implants can be placed. Dr. Sandhu can determine if implants can be placed given current oral health.
How are Dental Implants Placed?
The actual procedure varies by how many implants are being placed, whether mini implants or conventional implants or being used, and the type of tooth restoration that will be attached to the dental implant.
Generally, the process involves three stages:
- Placing the implant in the boney ridge beneath the teeth
- Waiting for the dental implant to fuse to the bone in which it is placed
- Placing the tooth restoration on top of the dental implant
Mini dental implants may be recommended under certain circumstances. These small implants allow the final tooth restoration to be placed the same day, so there is no waiting for bone and implant to fuse.
Costs and Financing
The costs of dental implants are variable. It depends on the type used, how many are placed and other factors specific to your procedure. Please arrange a consultation at our practice to get a cost estimate. In addition, our experienced staff will discuss your payment options, including CareCredit financing and potential insurance coverage.
As you think about the best way to replace your missing teeth, we urge you to consider all factors, not only cost alone:
- How long will the tooth replacement last? Although dental implants may involve a higher upfront cost than dentures, the implants can potentially last a lifetime when other restorations may require replacement every several years.
- Your comfort and confidence. The tooth restoration you choose should feel natural in your mouth. It should be as close to natural form and function as possible. You deserve a restoration that not only works optimally, but also looks great.
Dr. Sandhu and you can discuss all of these things and others during your one-on-one consultation.
Arrange a Consultation in Crystal Lake
Want to find out if you are a good candidate for dental implants? Please call our Crystal Lake, Illinois dentistry practice at 815-893-6345, to arrange a consultation with experienced cosmetic dentist Dr. Preet Sandhu.