Finding the right family dentist can seem like a daunting task. Fortunately, there are ways you can find the perfect local dentist for you and your family. Here are important steps, tips and questions to consider when looking for the right family dentist:
- Find out how long the practice has been in operation.
- Ask about the extent of the dentist's training and clinical experience, especially in regards to the specific procedure or treatment you need.
- Ask what procedures the dentist offers.
- If the dentist does not perform certain procedures, ask about the referral process.
- Before you commit to a specific dentist, be sure you are aware of every option available that can solve your dental concern.
- Ask about the professional associations the dentist is a part of, and the societies the dentist participates in. Some of these groups require dentists to take continuing education classes to keep them up to date on the latest technological advances in their field. Ultimately, this can help ensure that you are getting the best possible care.
- Determine what kind of emergency care they offer and how they can accommodate your specific emergent situation, such as after hours and weekends.
- If someone in your family is anxious about their dental visit, inquire about what patient comforts are provided. This can include nitrous oxide, music, blankets etc.
- Ask about the specific tools and technology used in your procedure, and if they have any advantages when compared to more traditional methods.
- If you or someone in your family needs cosmetic dentistry procedures, be sure to see other patients' before and after images. This can give you a good idea of the dentist's abilities.
- Figure out what your dental treatment will cost, and what insurance the practice accepts.
- Determine if the office is located nearby. This could be important if your procedures require frequent or multiple visits.
- Find out if the dental staff is friendly and courteous. Patient rapport should be just as important as the procedures offered when considering which family dentist is right for you.
Dr. Preet Sandhu and our experienced dental team can help you and anyone in your family with their dental needs. We offer patients various treatment options to help them get the smile they want to achieve. To fully determine if Dr. Sandhu is the right family dentist for you, she will meet with you in person to discuss your oral healthcare goals and needs.
If you're in the Crystal Lake area and would like to learn more about our family oriented practice, give our office a call at 815-893-6345 to schedule your initial consultation.