Regardless of whether you have an excruciating tooth ache, sustain a craniofacial trauma in a car accident or at a sporting event, or you simply took a nasty fall, Dr. Preet Sandhu at Crystal Family Dental Care knows that dental emergencies happen without warning and can cause extreme pain and anxiety.
It can be impossible to think about anything else once a dental emergency happens.
When you need urgent dental care in or around Crystal Lake, Illinois, please contact Crystal Family Dental Care by telephone to determine an immediate course of action: 815-893-6345. Our Crystal Lake dentist also serves people living in communities such as Algonquin and Lake in the Hills.
What You Should Do in a Dental Emergency
What’s the most important thing to remember when you crack or lose a tooth in an unexpected emergency? Don’t panic.
You naturally don't want to ignore serious damage to your teeth or gums. Your priority should be managing your immediate symptoms, then getting to a doctor or dentist as quickly as possible.
As in any crisis, it helps to follow a few pivotal steps so that your pain remains in check and you can soon on your way to optimum health.
Here are five tips for handling a dental emergency:
- No. 1: If you are bloody and/or swollen, clean the area with care, then apply gentle pressure with gauze followed by an ice pack or cold compress. Avoid even over-the-counter painkillers until a dentist can fully evaluate the damage and devise a course of action.
- No. 2: If you have a chipped or broken tooth, gently swish warm water around your mouth to catch any possible fragments.
- No. 3: If you have injured such soft mouth tissue as your lips, gums, cheeks or tongue, rinse your mouth with a mild salt-water solution. Then, hold gauze or a tea bag over the injury for roughly 15 minutes to curtail any bleeding.
- No. 3: If you’ve had a tooth knocked out, locate it and bring it with you to the dentist. Be mindful of handling the tooth by the crown, or white part, as opposed to the root or pump. If your tooth is dislodged but not yet out, apply a cold compress and contact your dentist's office immediately.
- No. 4: If you've lost an artificial crown, call Crystal Family Dental Care immediately. If it's possible to reinsert the crown without damaging the surrounding teeth or further injuring yourself, you may do so by returning the crown to its socket and then gently biting down. But you'll need to see your dentist as quickly as possible.
- No. 5. A tooth abscess, or serious root and gum infection that threatens the health of a tooth, is a very common dental emergency. The infection can be managed to a point but you should make plans for a root canal as soon as possible.
We're Here to Help
Just as no two people are the same, neither are the circumstances surrounding an unexpected dental emergency.
As the mother of two and a devoted member of the community, Dr. Sandhu is a Crystal Lake family dentist committed to helping relieve the pain and stress you may be experiencing as the result of a dental emergency.
Please contact Crystal Family Dental Care as soon as possible after your trauma. You can reach our dentist's office online or by telephone: 815-893-6345. Dr. Sandhu is proud to treat patients from Crystal Lake, Algonquin, Lake in the Hills and the surrounding Northern Illinois communities.